This update brings many changes and additions, so the version number has jumped straight to 1.6.5.
- Day/night cycle, rain and dust/spores. Adds to the game’s atsmosphere dramatically, making each environment feel slighlty different depending on the time of day.
An option has been added to the options menu to toggle these on/off.
- Champion mode updated. Evil champions can now also spawn directly in the room to fight you.
Champion mode has been re-balanced. I underestimated the amount of players that would choose to be good, making the mode too easy. It’s now much more challenging.
- If the player’s shield is hit, the player will now be knocked back enough to avoid further attacks.
- Chests now drop a heart or token if you don’t win anything from spinning the reels.
- Many sprites have been updated.
- Lots of tweaks made to enemies.
- Lots of tweaks made to game balance (frequency of hearts etc).
- Gold key acquired splash no longer shows every time you restart.
This is a fairly substantial update. I hope you like the new additions.
- New feature: Shields. There are two shields that the player can pick up and use: a standard shield and a fear shield. Shields can only take a certain amount of damage before they break, as indicated by a HUD meter. Shields are obtained by defeating shield wielding enemies. Defeat the enemy without destroying its shield, and the shield will drop. Collecting a shield whilst you already have one equipped will replenish the shield’s health.
- New enemy: Witch Doctor. Wields a fear shield
- New enemy: Goblin. Hops around on a pogo stick, dropping mines that detonate damaging anything within their explosion radius.
- Some changes have been made to the way Chests work. A small amount of situational bias has been added to the way items that are chosen, whilst still retaining as much randomness as possible. So you will be more likely to receive an ability as opposed to treasure, if you currently have no abilities etc.
- Chest 0 spins message changed from “Empty” to “Failed”.
- Destroying a chest, or stopping on 0 spins will drop either a heart or a token. This means you always receive something from a chest.
- 4 new colours have been added to the customisation list (Black, Camo 1, Camo 2 & Camo 3).
- Alt-Tab player visibility bug fixed.
- Hit Wisps (the things that leave trails of gold) with an attack for 50% chance to receive a token.
- Some balance changes have been made to shield wielding enemies.
Tip for shield usage:
The direction that the shield is facing will be the direction that the shield will block attacks from. Aiming the hand cannon or carrying a key will place the shield on the character’s back, blocking attacks from behind. Attacking with the sword will leave you open to attacks from the front, but will block attacks from the side the shield is facing.
Thank you to everyone that has posted feedback and suggestions. Any changes/additions that didn’t make it into this release will be included in the next.
The DRM-free version of Diehard Dungeon has been updated to version 1.5.
Diehard Dungeon has been updated to version 1.4.2 on IndieGameStand and GamersGate (Desura release is awaiting approval).
Version 1.4.1 was released silently a few days ago, which fixed an issue with the difficulty scaling incorrectly.
Version 1.4.2 changelog:
- All projectiles now collide with Chests.
- Containers that are on top of Spike Trap pressure plates, no longer spawn Imps.
- Dungeon Master Spectre no longer spawns in starting area.
- Modified Shield Runner enemy bahavior.
- Companion Chest Token drop rate resets correctly on retry.
- Enemy hit boxes tweaked.
I’m very pleased to announce that Diehard Dungeon version 1.4 is now available. To celebrate, the game can be purchased from Desura at 50% off for the next week.
This is a very substantial patch, with many new additions and changes.
Thank you to everyone that has supported me by purchasing Diehard Dungeon. You have enabled me to continue doing what I love to do.
The newly released demo features the first 2 areas of the game and a boss fight.
The demo will also be available to download from GamersGate within the next few days.
As always, stay tuned for updates on the upcoming major content patch, version 1.4 “Evolving the Formula”.
Here’s a trailer showcasing the current state of the game (version 1.3.5)